There is a great feel-good factor booster in this protein-recipe! Black beans dal is a tasty and wholesome lentil, which is also very easy to make. All in all, a lot of good things in one package! you just need to remember to plan ahead and soak the lentil overnight, and then the tomatoes, onions, and common spice powders will work their magic.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 cup black beans, soaked overnight drained
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of soda bicarb
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp fresh cream
- A spring of coriander
1. Mix the black beans, salt soda bicarb, and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cooker 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Do not drain the water and keep it separately.
3. Heat the oil in a deep stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
4. When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, ginger and green chilies and saute on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
5. Add the onions and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
6. Add the tomatoes, salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Add the cooked lentil (including the water), mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
8. Add the coriander and fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes while stirring occasionally.
9. Serve hot garnished with a spring of coriander.