Khandvi is a very tasty traditional Gujarati dish that is served in the morning breakfast or as a side dish with food. It is good at eating but also nutritious. Because very little oil is used to make it and the gram flour is cooked in steam.
To make it, first, the batter of gram flour and buttermilk is prepared and cooked and then rolls are made from it. Sesame curry leaves, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds are sprinkled over the bolt.
To make the Khandvi rolls, a little cooking experience is required, but in this recipe, we have also described the easy way to make Khandvi. By following this (recipe) traditional khandvi rolls.
preparation time: 5
Cooking Time: 30
Total time: 35
Ingredients for slurry
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- 1 cup sour buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 10 – 15 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoon oil
- Use fresh gram flour not too old to make Khandvi. If the gram flour is old, it will break when making the Khandvi rolls.
To check if the gram flour is fresh, mix 1 teaspoon gram flour with 1 teaspoon water and if the mixture is sticky then the gram flour is fresh or else do not use gram flour. The old gram flour mixture will be less viscous and also have a slightly bitter taste and aroma.
For the role of Khandvi
1. Take gram flour buttermilk powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix it well with a hand blender or churn to make a batter. Make sure there are no lumps in the solution. Grease a large plate or plate with oil on the back surface and keep it aside.
2. Pour the batter in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook on low heat.
3. Do not make lumps so keep stirring continuously.
4. Cook it till the mixture thickens and the raw taste of gram flour does not come. It will take about 8 minutes. Depending on the size of the embroidery and the amount of solution, it may take more or less time. To check whether the solution is cooked or not, read the suggestion given below.
5. Immediately pour a little solution with a spoon on the already smooth plate and spread it evenly in a thin layer with a flat spoon from the plate. Accordingly, according to the quantity of the solution, spread the entire solution in 2-3 plates.
6. Let it cool for 3-4 minutes. Cut it into straight strips about 2 inches wide with a knife.
7. Carefully make a roll from each strip, like a Swiss roll and place them on a serving plate.
8. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small pan for tempering. Add mustard seeds to it. When the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin curry leaves and green chilies and let it cook for 30 – 40 seconds. Add sesame seeds and when the sesame starts splitting, remove the pan from the gas.
9. Pour the prepared tadka over the khandvi rolls.
10. Sprinkle grated coconut and chopped coriander on it. Serve it with green coriander chutney or garlic chutney.